It was inaugurated on December 25, 1921 with the match of a friendly football match between FC Barcelona and Sparta Prague, 3 with the intention of turning it into the stadium of the 1924 Olympic Games under the name of “Stadium Català” .4
In 1955 it was the venue for the rugby competition during the Mediterranean Games held that year in Barcelona. It also hosted the Rugby King's Cup final, in its various denominations, in 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1965, 1966 and 1985.
Work began in 2013 to replace the much-damaged natural turf ground with an artificial turf surface with a new drainage and irrigation network. The lighting network was also replaced, providing its facilities with the necessary equipment, all approved by the Spanish Rugby Federation. The cost of the works was estimated at 775,589 euros.